Regularly having to bleed towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a towel radiator on my bathroom in the summer, which is connected to my central heating system. I bled the system once I refilled it, but it's only since October that the system has been running on a regular basis. I find that I am bleeding this radiator on a weekly basis, because the top rung is colder (marginally) than the others.

Is this a common problem related to the design of these radiators?

Could it be because this radiator has the highest point of the central heating system, so air bubbles elswhere are making their way to it?

Or do I have a leak in my pipework which is sucking in air?

I don't get much air out of this radiator when I bleed it, but I'm concerned that it is the symptom of a bigger problem.

I am grateful in advance for any help.

Thanks

Huw

Sponsored Links
Yer bigger problem is corrosion.
Fe (iron rads) + H2O => FeO (rust) + H2 (hydrogen)
It produces hydrogen, which collects at the highest point. You need to add a corrosion inhibitor. Use either Fernox MB-1 or Sentinel X100. If you have a header tank then turn off its supply, let out enough water from a drain point to empty it, then add the elixir and allow to refill as normal.

If it's a sealed sytem you have to inject the stuff or pour it into a towel rail or radiator which has a convenient plug at the top.

If you need the injecting type for a seaed system, this is available as a cartridge which screws into the radiator bleed valve. About £25 form plumbers merchants.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, but my towel rad has openings in the top. I thought I'd also desludge my system as well. So have been out and bought the relevant Sentinel products.

Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back