Rehau or Eurocell or Duraflex or Swift Frame - views?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What frames would be best to replace wood sash windows fitted in a year 2007 terrace house? (want windows replaced as next row of terraces being built all have upvc top hung open out windows. The new builder challenged the planning equirement to have wood - and he paid the £85 to have the condition removed).

These wood sash windows are draughty - the curtains move in the wind (I have checked all the seals are in place) and noisey although double glazed. We live opposite a pub and just 80 metres from the atlantic so quite a windy area. Windows are all about 1200 high 1100 wide.

I am thinking about top hung windows with a wide bar across the middle just to blend in a bit with neighbours. I would like to use tempered or laminated glass one side of the d/g for noise reduction - whats best? Anyway sorry to ramble on..... your thoughts on the best frames to use is much appreciated. Does anyone know if Swift or Duraflex use self tapping screws and not welded? Thanks all :)

Oh :oops: and also will I be able to keep the concrete cills under the windows and not have them removed? Plus can I have a French door with no lock on the outside? I read eurocell use recycled plastic which may make the white frames go yellow over a period of time - what about the others?

Sponsored Links
i've fitted windows and doors of all differing manufacrures and i think that you carnt go wrong with rehau

i've fitted windows and doors of all differing manufacrures and i think that you carnt go wrong with rehau
I've got Rehau 4 years now & I'd go with that. Technically, Swift also looked equally as good & for me it was a toss up between the 2 as very little price difference on numerious quotes I had, just different contractors.

Sponsored Links
By far the best, in my experience is Rehau, without doubt.

If you want noise reduction think about having laminated on one side of the unit and possibly argon with soft coat low e and 'super spacer'.

No problems with keeping the concrete cill, just have the frames face drained.

I'm sure you can get blanked door hamdles and half barrels to sort out your 'no lock on the out side' problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back