Reinforcing sagging shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a classic Ikea 100cm wide cupboard which has a few shelves I'd like to use for some heavy-ish items. The back of the cupboard has the flimsy plywood so it can't be used for support. The shelf is supported by the usual shelf support system (3 shelf shelf supports on each side which can be moved up and down in predrilled holes). I'm not particular precious about the cupboard so happy to drill more holes for extra shelf support.

My thought was that I could get some finished timber (something like a 1 by 2) and fix this under the leading edge and back edge of the shelf by attaching it to each side of the cupboard sides.

My question is, this a good way to add support or is there a better way this should be done?

Sponsored Links
If nobody is going to see it you could prop it in the centre with an off cut of timber.

If nobody is going to see it you could prop it in the centre with an off cut of timber.
I don't think this would work as there's a number of shelves at different height. So if I want to do this for a shelf higher up then this would just transfer the load to the shelf below which may not have heavy things on there. I would have to prop up every shelf below it in the same way which isn't ideal. Plus the cupboard is a double door variety so this would create an award vertical post in the middle which would make it difficult to use for any wide items.

My double door kitchen cupboard has a central rail about 60mm deep and about 30mm wide which supports the shelves as well as something the doors close to.

Sponsored Links
My double door kitchen cupboard has a central rail about 60mm deep and about 30mm wide which supports the shelves as well as something the doors close to.
I need a solution that doesn't create a vertical barrier.

Will my horizontal support idea work? Is there any other idea which would be better that would support the shelf horizontally?

You can also fit a vertical timber batten to the back and screw through the batten into the shelves, look on YouTube for 'reinforce Billy bookcase' for some ideas, first video down.

Last edited:
I've got a classic Ikea 100cm wide cupboard which has a few shelves I'd like to use for some heavy-ish items. The back of the cupboard has the flimsy plywood so it can't be used for support. The shelf is supported by the usual shelf support system (3 shelf shelf supports on each side which can be moved up and down in predrilled holes). I'm not particular precious about the cupboard so happy to drill more holes for extra shelf support.

My thought was that I could get some finished timber (something like a 1 by 2) and fix this under the leading edge and back edge of the shelf by attaching it to each side of the cupboard sides.

My question is, this a good way to add support or is there a better way this should be done?
That should work ok .

Use timber battens of that size and in those positions, but attach the shelf securely, at each end and at least one intermediate point, to the 1" face of each batten. No need to attach the battens to the cupboard sides. You might even get away with a single batten centrally positioned.
A 1x1 steel angle would be less obtrusive than a batten, if preferred.

When I reinforced my Ikea Billy bookcases I fixed a couple of vertical battens to the back and used some extra screws as per the photo, I didn't want to fit a batten to the front of the shelves, could have easily used slimmer timber but CLS 38x63 is about the cheapest there is and I had the room behind. It has the advantage that it rigidify's the whole unit too.

IMG20230730134410.jpg

Wow, the square steel tubes seem like a neat idea but feels like it might be overkill. What I'm loading on the shelf is heavy enough to worry about long term shelf warping but feels like cheap timber would be more than sufficient. It would be far cheaper and easier to drill.

Too expensive? a 1.5 m length is a fiver. Drills with a normal twist drill. It's what I do with chip shelves to resist them sagging. - timber needs to have quite a deep section to resist bending - a 1/2" or 5/8" square tube is barely noticeable, especially sprayed in a complementing colour.

Wow, the square steel tubes seem like a neat idea but feels like it might be overkill. What I'm loading on the shelf is heavy enough to worry about long term shelf warping but feels like cheap timber would be more than sufficient. It would be far cheaper and easier to drill.

A 1 metre span shelf will inevitably sag and, for me anyway, my eye would be drawn to it.

I'd go for the "do it once, do the best (you can)" option, which would be the square steel tube.

There's only so much you can do with what is, by design and to price point, a relatively flimsy storage "system".

Too expensive? a 1.5 m length is a fiver. Drills with a normal twist drill. It's what I do with chip shelves to resist them sagging. - timber needs to have quite a deep section to resist bending - a 1/2" or 5/8" square tube is barely noticeable, especially sprayed in a complementing colour.
A 1m length of stainless steel box 20mm x 20mm x 1.5mm thick costs £12. If I need two of these per shelf then that's £24 per shelf. I have 8 shelves so that's £192. I'd say that's quite expensive.

Versus, Wickes CLS timber 38x63 for a £3.70 per 2.4m length. That would cost in total £29.60.

Why would you need 2 per shelf? And SS is complete overkill. £5 off ebay for 1m though would need painting but the same applies to a timber solution. Timber is a better solution IMO as you can get a good fixing into the batten rather than screwing into the chipboard shelf which will always be inferior.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back