relative merits of worktops please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting a new kitchen but don't have a big budget - they're Ikea units so would like to make it look more expensive with a decent worktop. I'm thinking:
granite - lovely but probably too expensive (and maybe too heavy)
solid wood - maybe the best solution
formica, bushboard, prima etc - hard wearing but lacking the 'wow factor'

Does anyone have any comments or other alternatives. It's a Victorian terrace, units are off white/cream shaker style. Will be tiling the floor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you could try fitting recessed work top and tiling to match rest of kit.or a total contrast.

How much time and money are you willling to spend cleaning and maintaining it every week?

Will anybody ever put a hot teapot, or a wet cloth, down on the worktop, or spill tea, vinegar, water or cola on it?

Thanks for both replies.

Wouldn't the tile grout be difficult to keep pristine?

And yes, wet cloths, spills, hot fat, oily curry cartons, they'll all feature!!

Sponsored Links
We are also fitting a new kitchen and - after much thought - have gone with good old "formica".
A relative who fitted a fabulous wooden worktop 2 years ago is now fed up of cleaning & sanding it!
After all the kitchen is a workplace, and there are times when practicality has to take over.

We are hoping to achieve the "wow" factor with lighting and accessories :?:

And yes, wet cloths, spills, hot fat, oily curry cartons, they'll all feature!!
then wood and stone are unsuitable.

Get laminate. Mottled darkish colour.

Or brushed stainless

The "reconsitituted stone" ones look nice but stain, and I know someone who had it crack.

IMO a good trick is to use laminate in standard widths, with simple square joints, that you can easily lift off and replace with new (so not tiled in) when you fancy a change.

Thanks, I think you're right. I don't want to be living on the edge for the rest of my life. Bushboard seem to have a new range - chunky. Do you think the Antique Blocked Walnut would be practical? It's not mottled but it's closest to what I'd have bought if I'd have gone for solid wood.

http://www.bushboard.co.uk/samples.asp?range=chunky

looks a bit dark to me

the reason I said mottled is that it will disguise those marks that you are unable to get off (e.g. rings from a hot pan, or scratches)

Although it is possible to get most marks off with an abrasive cleaner, they spoil the polish and the rubbed patch will never look right again.

Yes, I agree with you although I called them and they said that it wouldn't show anywhere near the damage the high gloss ones sustain,. Am getting a sample sent which they suggested I try scuffing and scratching etc. Thanks

When you tile a work top you use epoxy grout it sets rock hard, mine was done 20 years ago and still looks like new.
Tiles are the only really durable option - IMHO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back