Remainers ....answers please on a postcard

And the UK also has a bigger debt than the EU
Virtually the same as the Eurozone.......just in case anybody believes Ellals carp :ROFLMAO:

UK lower than France, Spain, Portugal

Quantative easing has been stopped for the Euro, which is causing stagnation. Italy has moved into recession.

Germany is in a very strong position, lowish debt ratio, loads of gold reserves etc. Rest of the Eurozone is pretty weak.

Some leading economists believe the Eurozone is doomed (ps dont tell Ellal (y))

Solidarity and prosperity fostered by economic integration: this principle has underpinned the European project from the start, and the establishment of a common currency was supposed to be its most audacious and tangible achievement. Since 2008, however, the European Union has ricocheted between stagnation and crisis. The inability of the eurozone to match the recovery in the USA and UK has exposed its governing structures, institutions and policies as dysfunctional and called into question the viability of a common currency shared by such different economies as Germany and Greece.

Designed to bring the European Union closer together, the euro has actually done the opposite: after nearly a decade without growth, unity has been replaced with dissent and enlargements with prospective exits. Joseph Stiglitz argues that Europe's stagnation and bleak outlook are a direct result of the fundamental flaws inherent in the euro project - economic integration outpacing political integration with a structure that promotes divergence rather than convergence. Money relentlessly leaves the weaker member states and goes to the strong, with debt accumulating in a few ill-favoured countries. The question then is: Can the euro be saved?

Laying bare the European Central Bank's misguided inflation-only mandate and explaining why austerity has condemned Europe to unending stagnation, Stiglitz outlines the fundamental reforms necessary to the structure of the eurozone and the policies imposed on the member countries suffering the most. But the same lack of sufficient political solidarity that led to the creation of a flawed euro twenty years ago suggests that these reforms are unlikely to be adopted. Hoping to avoid the huge costs associated with current policies, Stiglitz proposes two other alternatives: a well-managed end to the common currency; or a bold, new system dubbed 'the flexible euro.' This important book, by one of the world's leading economists, addresses the euro-crisis on a bigger intellectual scale than any predecessor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Euro-its-Threat-Future-Europe/dp/0241258154

Sponsored Links
' This important book, by one of the world's leading economists, addresses the euro-crisis on a bigger intellectual scale than any predecessor
Joseph Stiglitz is a Marxist. He preaches Marx's version of Communism. Look up Georgist public finance theory. (The state should own all the assets)
Notice also that he is a critic of such institutions as the IMF and the World Bank.

He is known for his support of Georgist public finance theory[7][8][9] and for his critical view of the management of globalization, of laissez-faire economists (whom he calls "free market fundamentalists"), and of international institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stiglitz

Sponsored Links
Joseph Stiglitz is a Marxist. He preaches Marx's version of Communism. Look up Georgist public finance theory. (The state should own all the assets)
Notice also that he is a critic of such institutions as the IMF and the World Bank.

He is known for his support of Georgist public finance theory[7][8][9] and for his critical view of the management of globalization, of laissez-faire economists (whom he calls "free market fundamentalists"), and of international institutions such as the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stiglitz

What is the point you are making?

I don't think he likes the author... but I've not really read anything positive come out of Himmy, so I don't think he likes anything.

What is the point you are making?
Simple, you have quoted an ardent supporter of Marxist Communism.
If you want to spread that doctrine, that's fine, but it's hardly a sensible counter argument about the amount of debt in the UK or the Eurozone, or the viability of the eurozone.

Simple, you have quoted an ardent supporter of Marxist Communism.
If you want to spread that doctrine, that's fine, but it's hardly a sensible counter argument about the amount of debt in the UK or the Eurozone, or the viability of the eurozone.
Logical fallacy old bean.

Youve said why he is wrong, not where he is wrong.

Interesting that you think somebody that was Chief Economist and Senior Vice-President of the World Bank hasnt a clue what he is talking about.

Oh and He is a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.......so I suppose you think those Nobel people are clueless as well.

Youve said why he is wrong, not where he is wrong.

Interesting that you think somebody that was Chief Economist and Senior Vice-President of the World Bank hasnt a clue what he is talking about.

Oh and He is a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.......so I suppose you think those Nobel people are clueless as well.
I din't say he was clueless. I didn't say he didn't know what he is talking about. You are distorting comments again. I said he was a Marxist Communist. Those are his political beliefs. He is anti western economic systems, anti- IMF and anti-World Bank.
Thus, it stands to reason that he would be anti-capitalism, i.e the western economic - politico systems.
So you quoted one Marxist Communist's opinion, who is ideologically opposed to economic-politico systems like the EU, as "some of the leading economists".

Some leading economists believe the Eurozone is doomed
This important book, by one of the world's leading economists,
Amazon sales pitch​
Did you base your opinion on Amazon's sales pitch, that he is one of the world's leading economists?

I din't say he was clueless. I didn't say he didn't know what he is talking about. You are distorting comments again. I said he was a Marxist Communist. Those are his political beliefs. He is anti western economic systems, anti- IMF and anti-World Bank.
Thus, it stands to reason that he would be anti-capitalism, i.e the western economic - politico systems.
So you quoted a Marxist Communist, who is ideologically opposed to economic-politico systems like the EU, as some of the leading economists

He isnt a marxist communist.
Nor is he anti Western economic systems.

You havent done your homework.

Oh, and you have dismissed his theories on the Eurozone by stating he is wrong. But you still havent said where he is wrong.
Fail :ROFLMAO:

Virtually the same as the Eurozone.......just in case anybody believes Ellals carp :ROFLMAO:
Ah, notchy up to his stupid lying tricks again...:rolleyes:

I said "And the UK also has a bigger debt than the EU..."

Now I don't know about you, but I tend to think that 90.4% is higher than 86.8%
(the former being the UK, and the latter being the EU)

And falling GDP if we 'no-deal' will increase the debt ratio...

A bit like when the UK fell from 5th largest economy to 6th post Brexit due to lower growth - France leap frogged us after the vote!

Much of this would be reversed if we remain, and a minor improvement with a deal involving free trading arrangements - one only has to look at what happens to sterling when the prospect of either of those happening arises.

As for the rest of your 'copy and paste' futility

:LOL:

h, notchy up to his stupid lying tricks again
Could uou point out where I have lied?

The Eurozone and and UK have virtually the same debt ratio.

Non Eurozone countries: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and the United Kingdom)

Some of those countries have very low ratios distorting the average.

Last edited:

UK lower than France, Spain, Portugal

Quantative easing has been stopped for the Euro, which is causing stagnation. Italy has moved into recession.

Germany is in a very strong position, lowish debt ratio, loads of gold reserves etc. Rest of the Eurozone is pretty weak.

Some leading economists believe the Eurozone is doomed (ps dont tell Ellal (y))

Solidarity and prosperity fostered by economic integration: this principle has underpinned the European project from the start, and the establishment of a common currency was supposed to be its most audacious and tangible achievement. Since 2008, however, the European Union has ricocheted between stagnation and crisis. The inability of the eurozone to match the recovery in the USA and UK has exposed its governing structures, institutions and policies as dysfunctional and called into question the viability of a common currency shared by such different economies as Germany and Greece.

Designed to bring the European Union closer together, the euro has actually done the opposite: after nearly a decade without growth, unity has been replaced with dissent and enlargements with prospective exits. Joseph Stiglitz argues that Europe's stagnation and bleak outlook are a direct result of the fundamental flaws inherent in the euro project - economic integration outpacing political integration with a structure that promotes divergence rather than convergence. Money relentlessly leaves the weaker member states and goes to the strong, with debt accumulating in a few ill-favoured countries. The question then is: Can the euro be saved?

Laying bare the European Central Bank's misguided inflation-only mandate and explaining why austerity has condemned Europe to unending stagnation, Stiglitz outlines the fundamental reforms necessary to the structure of the eurozone and the policies imposed on the member countries suffering the most. But the same lack of sufficient political solidarity that led to the creation of a flawed euro twenty years ago suggests that these reforms are unlikely to be adopted. Hoping to avoid the huge costs associated with current policies, Stiglitz proposes two other alternatives: a well-managed end to the common currency; or a bold, new system dubbed 'the flexible euro.' This important book, by one of the world's leading economists, addresses the euro-crisis on a bigger intellectual scale than any predecessor

He makes some good points but I would disagree with some of his prescriptions. He is bang on the money about the ill effects of austerity.

Stiglitz also praised Venezuela economy.

Notch the hardcore lefty. :mrgreen:

Stop quoting the OP poor links - you have any of your own?

https://www.ft.com/content/b4458652-f42d-11e6-8758-6876151821a6

Turkey border gridlock hints at pain to come for Brexit Britain
Truck drivers bemoan long queues and endless paperwork needed to enter EU

Just Brilliant. Queues glorious queues.

Sponsored Links
Back