Remote CCTV - web access

N

Newboy

Can anyone recommend a simple CCTV camera capable of (assuming it's possible!)

Remote access via web (either tablet or desktop)
Standalone
Wi-fi connection to router
Outdoor installation
If possible, pan and tilt from remote access
Night vision capable
Secure

Also posted in Alarms, CCTV just in case

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I bought a cheap IP webcam and found it is all down to the web site used. In essamce without a static IP address you can't connect direct, the camera sends its pictures to hosting site and then you request to view from hosting site.

You can also pay a fee for it to be recorded. I did not pay fee and found 85% of the time it worked OK but some times the hosting site was clearly overloaded, I assume people who pay monthly fee fair better?

Also to pair with the router you need to use an app, this app was only done for phone or tablet, once paired you could watch with PC but needed a phone or tablet to set up.

For me it saved a lot of traveling, it allowed me to check on my mother and see she was OK, on the odd time it failed to work, but all in all it paid for its self. But it all depends how important it is that it works. And nothing to do with camera, all down to hosting website.

I've been on the lookout for similar. I bought a cheap IdeaNext camera that worked well then gave up the ghost after 20 months. When it worked, it had Dynamic DNS support and access through their website for remote viewing. Also had SD card for local storage with remote playback.

Recently been looking at Yi and ieGeek as a replacement. Haven't checked out all the details for both for DDNS options.
Remote viewing seems to be through their respective websites with a push to subscribing to get reliable push notifications and automatic recording.

Does not meet all your requirements but I use old iphones [to use the camera for cctv]connected to my wifi, then installed the 'presence' app which allows access from anywhere, can be set to be movement triggered and also can be set only to run when users phone is away from home thus avoiding lots of pointless triggers while you are home, lots of other features and best of all completely free.

http://www.presencepro.com/

Sponsored Links
Try looking at "cloud cameras". This removes some of the security issues and tend to be relatively plug and play. I installed some (I think they were D-LINK) for my in-laws and they work really well.

I would look at the Arlo smart home security cameras. I have them and they are excellent. Simple to install and come with free cloud storage and the option of local storage too.

Built in alarm, two way audio and night vision and can be used outdoors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back