Remove a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a room where there is 1 light, 1 pull cord switch and 1 wall light switch, both the switches turn the light on/off respectively. The cable that runs is 3 core and earth

I want to remove the pull cord switch.

Can I use a junction box to replace the pull cord switch?

If so, what would the wiring need to be? Would it be 1 white per terminal?

The wiring on the wall light is Red, Black and Yellow.

All help appreciated.

jon

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...l-forum/71474-junction-box.html#ixzz2JfklVvxK

Sponsored Links
What wires are at the pull cord, just the three core and earth?
and what cables are the wall plate?
You maybe able to disconnect the cable totally.
By reading the link, it seems this cable goes in to the loft.
I would disconnect the three core cable at switch and terminate all cable in on connector, then do the same with cable in loft.
Therefore making this cable redundant, if the walls a stud or cable in conduit, it may pull out, but if this could possible cause damage the other switch cable, I would leave it.

Hi.

I've read an article about remove a pull cord from a ceiling so I'm going to give it a bash.

I'll update the thread for future readers once complete / failed.

Cheers.

Jon

You will have to join the COM and L1 wires of the removed switch and leave the L2 wire insulated.

If you just leave the wires unconnected the light won't work regardless of the position of the other switch.

(Some switches may be marked L1, L2, L3 instead of COM, L1, L2. In which case join L1 and L2 and leave L3 insulated)

Sponsored Links
Possibly a stupid question, what do you mean by insulated?
You could either terminate it in a single piece of choc block and put a little bit of tsape round it or terminate it on it's own to a free part of a junction box

Thanks for the clarification.

Appreciate all for their help.

Why dont you respond to the questions we have asked you?

Post a picture of the wires in both switches and we can tell you a real easy way to do this. Probably without leaving any redundant live cables lying about and probably without having to re-terminate wires into connection block.

Help us to help you.

Or you could just go and try it yourself. Go on, how hard can it be ;)

Possibly a stupid question, what do you mean by insulated?
Insulated means that there are no exposed live components or cables.

But as above post, care of TTC. Can you answer some of the basic questions that have been asked and supply pictures and/or diagrams of the set up?
Otherwise it makes it very difficult to help you precede correctly and safely.

Hi,

Electrician is going to move the CU and earth bond this week.

I've asked him to look at these also.

Thanks to everyone for their pointers.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back