remove artex or overboard it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the whole of our house has a 1980s swirl style artex which we would like gone, I got someone to quote me on skimming over it and he told me when it gets wet it will start to peel off like wall paper so he suggested either removing it first or overboarding, I am just trying to get it clear in my head would the cost of overboarding a 3 bed house be better than my time and the mess trying to remove it?

Sponsored Links
Providing the artex is sound, it willl plaster over no problem. I have plastered over many many an artex ceiling without any trouble at all. Overboarding a whole house, (ceilings and walls all artexed)? would cost a lot of money,, scraping off old artex may not be advisable either, as it may contain traces of asbestos if it was done mid 80's or earlier. Why not have a small ceiling/room done, see for yourself, and take it from there.
Let's see what the other lads on here think. ;)

the house was build in 1989 so i assume asbestos wont be an issue, i was thinking of trying to steam and scrape it off in the smallest room, he skimmed over artex in our last house no problams but that had the standard "spikey effect" but he said he has had trouble with this type of swirl pattern before. as he is my cousin should i just tell him to man up and get on with it?

Sponsored Links
I have over boarded all my ceilings in my house, it helps with the noise from above and also keeps the heat in. It also provides extra fire proofing.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back