Remove just the existing plasterboard from the lime ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased an old property (built in circa 1880). The original ceiling of lath & lime plaster is still there in all rooms but unfortunately they've been overboarded by white plasterboard.

I understand that gypsum is pink, so does white plasterboard mean asbestos?

I have a strange question - is it possible to remove the plasterboard without removing the original lath & lime plaster ceiling ?

Is it dangerous to try lever the plasterboard off while standing on stepped ladders below?

Sponsored Links
I understand that gypsum is pink

No. Gypsum is white. But the surface paper layer on plasterboard is colour-coded: pink = fire resistant, green = moisture resistant, blue = soundbloc. Regular plasterboard is described as "ivory" i.e. light grey.

OK thanks. Sorry for not saying earlier but I'm not sure if the boarding is made from plaster. I think it might be some sort of fibre cement, I'll double check.

Sponsored Links
Here is a photo I've taken today:

The board seems to be brown on the outside and white inside.

Attachments

• P1030069.JPG
    P1030069.JPG
    859 KB · Views: 179
the brown looks to me like a hardboard patch. Scratch it, please.

What's the cut out section? A partition wall removed?

Google suggests that plasterboard used to be brown on both sides. Today it's normally brown on one side and ivory on the other. I see no reason to believe that's anything other than regular plasterboard.

How do you think it's fixed to the lath & plaster above? I'd imagine that pulling it down would bring down the lath & plaster too. Even if it doesn't you'll be left with a mess of a ceiling.

In the very unlikely event that that is an asbestos product, pulling it down is the very last thing you should consider doing.

Google suggests that plasterboard used to be brown on both sides. Today it's normally brown on one side and ivory on the other. I see no reason to believe that's anything other than regular plasterboard.

How do you think it's fixed to the lath & plaster above? I'd imagine that pulling it down would bring down the lath & plaster too. Even if it doesn't you'll be left with a mess of a ceiling.

In the very unlikely event that that is an asbestos product, pulling it down is the very last thing you should consider doing.

OK, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back