Remove protective film from windows????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone has an answer to this little problem.
The protective plastic film was not removed from the UPV frames after fitment and now some time later it will not come off.
I have tried thinners and gentle heating but the stuff just comes off in tiny pieces and is brittle.
Scraping does not help either and will damage the frames.

Any ideas please??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
only a thought.

very stong tape. stick it down press hard and pull it off and hope

very stong tape. stick it down press hard and pull it off and hope

tried it,it doesn't work.

we had this problem a few years ago,we finished off a renovation that had been going on for about ten years,suffice to say the plastic film had welded itself to the window frames and no amount of rubbing and scrubbing with all sorts of everything was going to remove it.in the end,with the owners approval we scraped it off,it did damage the frames a little but he wasn't bothered.i drive past now and again and to tell the truth they still look ok.but, here's a thought .why not scrape it off and then go over them with a polishing mop,the type that's used for polishing cars,the scraper i used is made by bahco i don't know what it's called,but to describe it i would say it is a similar shape to a glass scraper only much bigger and heavier duty,it is about 250mm long and the blade is sharp on both edges and is best described as looking like the sharp end of a plane iron,the scraper is shaped so that you can only use it with the blade flat against the surface,(i bet that's all as clear as mud). i'll see if i can find it tomorrow and post a pic.

Sponsored Links
we had a similar thing with a conservatory sash window, the film had stuck fast too. i used a blunt scraper to carefully remove as much as the film as possible, you can then use fine wet and dry sandpaper to try and illiminate any scratches, the frames can dull a little but i have heard bees wax can bring back the shine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back