Remove the rest of the fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Wanted some advice please..

I've knocked the front off the fireplace wanted to know if i should take the brick out as well.. there seems to be a surrounding where i have taken the plaster off. would like to take it all back make the room bigger..

All so any ideas what the hole in the floor was used for? a bit of a draft coming through it.

Cheers

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It would be intresting to know!

First time Ihave seen it.

can you go a floor below and see where it goes?

Maybe it was just a route of disposing burnt coal stuff?

Hi Ibby

There is no basement, it is a little cottage in derbyshire, i have never seen it before, i dug down a bit it has brick around it but has been filled with rubble by somebody..

I thought it might be a coal storage? be nice to hear if anyone has seen this before?

do you think i could remove the brick and take it back?... i am not sure if this was a later edition.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cheers cotswoldbuilders,

would they of lit the fire over it to draw the air through it?

do you know by the image if i could remove the brick... would it be a large fireplace originally?

Thanks

If the fireplace has been bricked up to hold a smaller fire,
shine a light up their and check.

If it gets wider, it was bigger.

Have a look up the opening and see whats above the insert brick opening, I would have thought the small brick opening has been added afterwards, it would look a lot nicer opened up to the original opening.
You would have a fire grate above the air intake, might even be a plate to slide over to control the air flow.

Cheers cotswoldbuilders,

there were a couple of pieces of metal been put in the air intake.. which i thought might be a some sort of lid to it..

thanks for your advice... i have had a look up and it is wider as you said i think it would look much better to... the brick does not look great!

i'll knock it out and lets see... fingers crossed hey :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back