Removed ceiling tiles, crack and uneven ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a plastered concrete ceiling.

Having removed ceiling tiles with a scraper, this has left some tile glue and holes on the paint/undercoat. I've scrapped off the loose paint and sanded.

what is the best way to cover up? just paint over a few coats or do I need to do more, do I need a primer for the bare plaster?

A crack is also across half the ceiling. Having looked around the forum, some are suggesting making a V groove and then filling. Could caulking be used?

Thanks, Andy.

Sponsored Links
Andy, don't use caulk to fill the ceiling cracks, you will not be able to rub it down afterwards. Clean out the crack, use a stanley blade, sideways on, to make the v. Blow out all the dust with a bike pump or suck with a vacuum cleaner nozzle.

Try and avoid the ready mixed filler as these dry too hard and can be difficult to sand off. Use a good powder filler and mix as the box says, allow to dry then sand off. Skim over again with filler any places that need it, then sand off and clean up.
(Fillers are a personal thing and decorators always select types that will do the job they want. I like 'toupret' and Red Devil.)

Apply a thinned with water coat of Non vinyl paint, such as supermatt and allow to dry.
No need for a primer with the above type of paint.

De-nib the first coat then apply a second coat on the ceiling, a third if you think it need it. On the walls, apply 2 further coats of your final paint colour which will contain vinyl as this helps protect from fingermarks etc.
You don't say if you use a roller or brush, rollers being quicker.

Hope this gives the gist of what to do.

Thanks oldgreymouse.

Just to confirm.

When you mention 'skim over' you are just referring to the crack or also to the holes in the paint?

Or will applying several coats and denib across the whole ceiling hide the holes in the paint caused by removing the tiles?

Andy.

Oldgrey mouse is spot on!
I personally would get a plasterer in to tape the crack and skim it! ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry Andy, as handyman says, if the ceiling is very bad, then you could get the ceiling skimmed over with a new coat of plaster but you will need a plasterer to do this for you :( Its a bit more cost but looks nice after.

However, when I was referring to 'skim over' what I mean is you get a nice flexi bladed filling knife about 3" to 4" wide, ( Not a stiff scraper blade) mix your filler, then skim over with a thin layer all the holes.
With practice it is not too difficult, but do not leave great big gobs of filler all in mounds like moon craters on your ceiling. I would normally use TX 110 toupret, dries in about half an hour.

You do a skim over, let it dry, skim again, then check the holes are all covered, if not then skim again. Only when this is dried do you sand off, brush off, clean up and look like a snowman!!

Apply the first coat of thinned supermatt then allow to dry for a couple of hours, if it was a new ceiling you could flash over with a second coat fairly soon after, depends on drying time. Inspect the ceiling, if you use the toupret you could skim any last bits again then either apply a second or third coat of paint til you are happy with finish.

Have spent hours trying to make a similar ceiling look good. Looked ok when i finished at 5! Next morning bright sunshine it looked ****e, needless to say client wasnt to pleased. Ended up skimming it anyway! client happy!

You could always prep as mentioned then line with 1000 grade lining paper as this will smooth out any small imperfections. Depending on your decorating skills it might be a better option to pay and get the ceiling reskimmed. Shouldn't be that expensive and you can't go wrong with a nice newly plastered ceiling!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'm giving it a go with Toupret, if only to see what happens.

If I make a bad job then I'll get a professional in.

Andy.

Well I did, and after several (more than several) attempts at sanding/refilling and painting it does not look to bad.
[

Thanks for all your suggestions.

That's a pretty tidy job, well done.

Thanks dcdec, I used "interior filler" it comes in a red box.

I noticed the difference between it and a standard cheap DIY filler, when I used the cheap stuff to fill in some holes and cracks round the edge of the ceiling, the cheap stuff took a lot longer to dry and was generally less 'appliable'.

The finish is not perfect, especially in direct light, variation in the surface, caused by my uneven application/sanding and original issues with the ceiling become apparent on close inspection. In natural light it looks good.

Ceiling cracks, if not taped first, WILL come back. Sometimes as quick as a couple of days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back