Removing a light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In my kitchen there are two light fittings, both are of the style with multiple smaller spotlights fixed to a strip of metal - similar to:

bauhaus-tech-head-4-spotlight-bar-dar-lighting-9643-p[ekm]279x130[ekm].jpg

One is central in the ceiling the other is very close to the back wall. I have a wall unit cupboard that I want to fix to the back wall, and there isn't enogh space for the doors to open because the ceiling lighting unit is in the way.

I'm not too concerned about moving the lights as there is already a lighting unit in the centre of the ceiling which provides more than sufficient light. So I just want to remove the lights near the cupboard.

What is the best way to remove the lights whilst (presumably) leaving the circuit still active? Can I fit a junction box to the circuit or do I need some other device?

Many thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Drop both the fittings, it's likely that the middle lamp feeds the far lamp fitting you wish to remove.

If so then isolate at the CU, remove the wiring between the 1st and 2nd fitting and that should be it, DO NOT remove the offending fitting and tape up / jb the wire and leave it live.

Many thanks,

Apologies for being a bit of a philistine, but how do I isolate at the central fitting? Can I just remove the wires going from this fitting to the lights I want to remove, or do I need to join up the wires at the central fitting to ensure the loop is still closed?

Big thanks!

Many thanks,

Apologies for being a bit of a philistine, but how do I isolate at the central fitting? Can I just remove the wires going from this fitting to the lights I want to remove, or do I need to join up the wires at the central fitting to ensure the loop is still closed?

Big thanks!
I take that one switch controls boths lights.
If yes then you should look at this section of wiki and in particular the part on
Two lights on one switch near the bottom of the page
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
If you have a similar wiring set up then you should be able to see which wires you should remove.

Sponsored Links
Isolate at the supply / cu.

Then drop the fittings, only then will you know how they are wired. Normal being that the loop will be at the centre fitting and simply one cable between the 1st and 2nd fitting. It's that cable that you need to discon from the LNE at the 1st.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back