Removing a two-way light switch...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I'm about to fit a £16 LCD light-switch from B&Q in our lounge. The light has an LCD display and can be programmed to switch itself on an off etc. It will not work in a two-way circuit and in the lounge is a two-way circuit (unfotunately).

There is a second switch at the other side of the room that we never use, so I'd like to terminate this and fit a blanking plate over switch.

The wiring behind this secondary unused switch is:

L1 - Red
L2 - Blue (with a red sleeve)
C - Yellow (with a red sleeve)

I bridged L1 and L2 but the lights stayed permanently on regardless of the position of the other switch.

Can someone please advise on how to make this switch redundant to result in there just being a one-way circuit.

Thanks.

Gav.

Sponsored Links
The switch you do want to keep how many and what colours are the wires?

wouldn't be two reds, one black, blue and a yellow is there?

..that's absolutely correct. Impressive stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gav.

connect your new switch across the red and black (that is the red that is in the same cable as the black) The red blue and yellow that you will have left cover them individualy with insulaton tape both at the switch you want to keep and the one you do not.
They will be dead, but at some stage you may want to change it back.

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant - it worked a treat.

Many thanks, indeed.

I've just got to spend 2 hours programming this new switch now. ;o)

Gav.

You post here a lot so I'm curious to know why you don't correct the spelling ("responsibility" and "whatsoever") and begin the next sentence with a capital "B"?

Is it some sort of subtle joke which I've missed or has nobody pointed out the errors? Maybe everyone else is simply too polite.

(I didn't get where I am today by being polite).
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back