Removing a wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on removing an internal brick wall between my corridor and lounge on the ground floor. There is no wall above this one and all the joists above run in the direction of the wall. Is it possible to remove this wall without ant side affects? Shall I get a structural a structural engineer to approve all the work?

Sponsored Links
Wall doesnt sound structural, but if in doubt get an engineer to give it the ok, some walls are lateral restraints.

A structural engineer is good advise but before you commit yourself to the expense, be certain at what your dealing with.
Although this wall may not be load bearing (supporting the ends of the Floor Joist), it may be that the wall at ceiling level, supports the ceiling joists?? check the span of the joists and see if the wall is approx in the middle?

The approximate cost a such an engineer would not leave you with much change from 400 quid???? a reasonable building surveyor may be cheeper and have history with your area and surrounding buildings (although he wuldnt put his insurance on the line)

Does this wall need to be completely removed or would putting a lintel over the new opening be adequate?

let me know

Sponsored Links
Alternatively phone up your local building control office and request a viewing of the housing plans. If its a load bearing wall the plans will indicate this.

if your confident that no other walls above are sat on the downstairs wall and no floor joists or even a landing for the stair case are sat on the wall then by all means remove it

I'm not sure what ceiling joists are??? I have lifted up some floorboards above my wall to the other over a closer inspection, all the joists run inline with the wall right from one end of my house to the other overlapping with new ones above the stairs. (my stairs run at right angles to this wall and the wall starts after the stair case)

There are just channels of not so fresh air between the joists and the ceiling below is made of plaster and lathe. I think i'll get a structural builder to make sure, do I need to get any paper work/building regs?

ceiling joists are the Parallel lengths of timber/steel which support the ceiling, designed only to support ceiling boards light and attic loads.

yes get your building control officer to come an examine an give recommends

sorry? ceiling joists are the timber sections above the plaster board finish in the attic. Simply, you could say they are the floor joists of the attic/loft room.

If they run accross the wall, you can guarantee its carrying the load of the ceiling joists. If this is the case, dont panic there are methods we can use to reduce or eliminatethe load on this wall so that we may remove it completely.....and guess what.......its so easy and cheep to do?

one method may be .....hangers and runners??????? easy to install and is made up of cheep pieces o timber. Let me know what the outcome is and ill advise.

Remember, the local authority B. Control Officer/dpt will charge for such an inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back