removal of a brick wall, with stud wall above

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to remove a 4" internal brick wall, above is a stud wall built on tongue and groove floor boards spanning the joists, the floor joists run parallel with the brick wall, to support the stud wall do I need to put in a steel rsj or will a good sized timber joist be sufficient

Sponsored Links
Before removing the brick wall double check that the stud wall does sit on the flooring by removing a piece of skirting. If you can see the ends of the floor boards the floor doesn't go through. Removing the the brick wall will require a bit more care as you do not want the timber stud to become like an envelope through a letter box. If it is just remove enough block to get a full depth nogging in and fix up tight the floor then pack the gap in between the flooring. Arrange the full depth noggings to be no more 600mm center. Then once done fit joist hangers. If the floor does definitely go under the stud , then the floor will be able to temporarily take the weight of the stud. A double timber under the stud or full depth as described above will be fine. I am presuming the stud doesn't support anything like the roof

Sponsored Links
Is the stud wall supporting anything at ceiling level?

thanks for answering my post the house was built in 1955 and the roof is supported by timber purlings, the stud wall supports the bedroom ceiling joists

If the stud wall carries load there is a very strong chance the load transfers down the brick wall below.. therefore you should look to put in something to carry this load, ie steel beam.. may be best to get a professional out to look at it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back