Fixing a beam to stud wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen i have ceiling joists that are approx 220mm x 70mm @ 400mm centres and are spanning 4.6m, which i believe is pretty close to the max regulation for that distance.

The previous owners removed a stud wall that was located about halfway across and I want to put in a beam where this wall was removed in order to take the bounce out of the floor above. The span of the beam will be 3.1m.

One end of the beam will be in brick but the other end is a stud plasterboard wall.

My question is how what is the best way to fix the beam to the stud wall?

Sponsored Links
A stud wall is normally non structural and therefor if you fix a beam to it that is taking out the bounce of the floor the wall will fail.even if the wall doesn't fail all the plaster will crack. do you know that the stud wall is structural? 220 x 65 floor joists can span between 4.5 and 5.1 m at 400mm c/c

The stud wall i want to fix one end of the beam to is not structural.

Adding extra noggins and maybe doubling up a few of the joists will help with the bounce. If you add a beam you will have a nasty protrusion into the room.

Sponsored Links
Some snug fitting bracings well fixed at say 1/3rd spans will deal with a lot of the bounce.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back