Removing and making good old screw plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just trying to prepare my walls for painting and wandered if there were any tricks for removing and making good old plastic plugs from the wall, where there were once hooks and shelves.
I have tried pulling them out with pliers but they break and that just leaves an untidy mess! I don't want to start drilling them out in case there's wiring in the wall... any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
drill them out, since there cant be any wiring in the wall because there is a rawl plug there already

Sponsored Links
If you want to push a plug in deep, so you can fill over it, put a rather large screw (like a size 10) into it and tap it with your hammer. this will usually drive the plug in, then you can unscrew the screw.

If you want to pull a plug out, drive a screw into it and pull it out with the claw of your hammer. this will probably bring some plaster with it and leave a crater in the wall.

When you fit a new plug, it is best to drive it slightly below the surface of the plaster by tapping the screw before you tighten it. This reduces the risk of the plaster cracking as the plug expands, and also gives a stronger fixing, and is easier to fill (see above) when you decide to remove the fitting in years to come.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back