Removing (black mastic) marks from a brick wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help with this problem?

My wife and I bought our retirement bungalow 13 years ago which had a not very good, home-made conservatory attached to the back. For several reasons, after a few years we decided to remove it. The basic process was reasonably easy.

Everything is fine except for the remnants of black, dried mastic attached to the wall, which is made of those (rustic?) red bricks with deep indentations. I have tried to remove this with a wire brush and by picking at it with a craft knife. Some success but I can't get rid of the last traces which are unsightly.

We have lived with the situation for several years but, having discovered this website, I wondered whether anyone could offer a really good way to finish off the process of removal. Obviously I don't want to do anything which would damage or scar the bricks.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Not on a "rustic" you won`t :cry: Not much @ all you can do - horrible bricks

Try a rag soaked in hot distilled vinegar, tape it onto a small area and leave for about half hour. This softens the mastic, then I suppose you could try a wire brush. I know this works on concrete, don't know if it would ruin your bricks though. I'm told paint thinners works too, but vinegar is cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Nice try, but I would suggest you check the posting date before replying.

Thank you for the help even at this late stage.

I have very recently heard that you can buy something called "mastic remover" (or something like that) but i haven't yet got around to doing so.

Robert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back