Removing silicone/mastic from brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Some wingnut before we had bought the HB ouse has made a right mess of smearing white mastic all around the red brickwork of the plastic windows. To make matters slightly worse, someone has used white/clear silicone to fill the gaps in the mortar between the bricks which are starting to crack.

The clear stuff seems to be easier to pick out of the gaps but the white mastic which has been smeared is relentless.

Please tell me there's an easier way then painstakingly scrapping it of with a knife.:cry:

Sponsored Links
Doesn't even touch the hard white stuff. I haven't had time to go up the ladder with the clear stuff but that's alot more pliable and newer I'm assuming.

Attachments

• IMG_20160520_055027.jpg
    IMG_20160520_055027.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,864
My guess is that the original white stuff you're trying to remove is from the original (possibly wooden) windows & it's not silicone. It may be acrylic.

When the upvc windows were fitted, the frames are in a different place so there's a line around the brickwork.

Sponsored Links
I can see your thought process with that and the original windows its probably what's happened.

What's puzzling me is that the photo is the door hole to a new extension which hasnt had any other door in then the one that's in. Granted I've only owned the house since last Nov but that's what the previous owner said anyway.

It is chipping off and maybe it will come off with a pressure washer being so brittle.

Cheers for your reply

Acetone will remove the paint. A fibreglass/boat place will sell it in large volumes (5l).

It will probably mark / dissolve UPVC as well so be careful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back