Mastic remover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to remove white mastic/sealant which has ended up making rather a mess over my UPVC door frame? I used it to try and re-seal a gap between threshold step and frame, but the rain has washed it out and it is now all over the step and flashing underneath. I have an idea that white spirit would do the job, but would appreciate some advice first! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Seems strange that the rain washed it out :confused:
You can get "silicone eater" but it's not much good and may even damage your UPVC (try on an unseen spot first). I find that a sharp chisel used CAREFULLY is effective at removing silicone. White spirit will have no effect.

What seems to have happened is that there was already moisture in the gap before I used the sealant, and although I covered it up with polythene afterwards, I think the sealant just stayed runny and as a result it has just trickled out. It looks a bit of a mess but I will try using a small chisel (carefully) and let the whole area dry out completely before I re-seal. I think the gap is too big for sealant alone, so I will try and get some plastic quadrant to fit in. :)

You'd be better with a wider chisel really - a smaller one will try and dig in. A 25mm one is about right.

Sponsored Links
I am feeling rather pleased with myself as I have used a fine chisel to get the worst off, then used a nylon scourer, rubbing ever so lightly of course, with a little Cif, and hey presto it has all come off. It's taken practically all afternoon, but now I can let it dry out completely before fixing some quadrant and re-sealing. My next job will be to re-seal the shower tray which has developed a small leak, but I'm getting quite good at using the silicone stuff (and wet finger of course), just to prove that I do not need a man to do these jobs for me! :LOL:

Bloomin eck, you don't hang around! A bloke would have had to think about it for a week or so then looked into chisel reviews to make sure he bought the best chisel. Then on the big day, he would don his workman's outfit and toolbelt, clear the women folk out of the way and begun tackling the job at hand.

Well, anyone can learn to do these things if they need/want to! I have also picked up some tips along the way but I'm always open to new ideas - hence my interest in this website forum which has been very interesting and helpful. ;)

try a silicone removal tool i tried silicone eater not that good, but then brought a silicone removal tool from Diy Land was brilliant!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back