Removing brown paint from under gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been removing all the old gloss from my door frames with a heat gun and then sanding the wood down to bare wood so i can stain it.the gloss flys off but then there is a green undercoat which takes a lot of sanding to get off.

I've started to do the staircase and newal posts, again the gloss comes off easily, but there is no green under, instead it is a brown undercoat which the heat gun wont touch. if you sand the brown it seems to be silver underneath. Nitromors seems to turn it into a slight jelly which you can then remove some of it. I tried a belt sander on the flats of the newal posts which flew off but i'm unable to get this in around the stairs.

Any suggestions?
Any other paint strippers thats cheaper or better than nitromors?
View media item 32310 View media item 32311 View media item 32312

Sponsored Links
You could try peelaway (or stripaway - not sure what it's called now). Unlikely to be cheaper than nitromors but might save you some time.

There are two types depending on material to be stripped. I've used both on old pine wood and found the red one more effective. Sorry I can't be more specific but I just gave up trying to get to grips with the names.

If you do use it you might want to experiment with it first to see how long you need to leave it on before peeling the paper - too long and it will dry, too little and it won't remove enough paint.

I found it took a bit of practice to get used to applying the paper and probably ended up using more of it than I needed to. I used ordinary greaseproof paper at one point and that was ok (not as good though).

I ended up having to apply the stuff thicker than it says on the instructions, especially in the grooves around mouldings.

If you do use it hopefully it will go well and be nice and easy.

Sponsored Links
What is the paper part, do i not just paint it on then scrape it off?

I was going to email them and ask what they recommend as there are different number from what i seen

The paper absorbs the paste and prevents it from drying out too quickly. There are probably lots of factors that determine how long the stuff needs to be left on before removing the paper. I would leave it on as long as possible without letting it dry.

I had to apply the stuff with a filling knife - brushes eventually disintegrate. Once it's removed you'll need to wash it down well. I used a scrubbing brush but it was a bit messy although I didn't have to worry about that too much as the whole place is being redecorated, including floors.

It probably is best to get a recommendation from them.

I've started to do the staircase and newal posts, again the gloss comes off easily, but there is no green under, instead it is a brown undercoat which the heat gun wont touch. if you sand the brown it seems to be silver underneath. Nitromors seems to turn it into a slight jelly which you can then remove some of it. I tried a belt sander on the flats of the newal posts which flew off but i'm unable to get this in around the stairs.

I've been doing the same to my doors downstairs, the architraves didn't have it (thank god) but my 70's full glazed doors have this silver undercoat which was left after the gloss came off. Perhaps a fire retardant?

Did you get it off? do i need to apply a primer to it or can i use undercoat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back