Removing chipboard sub floor glued directly to ijoist flanges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can offer some guidance.

We have stripped out the bathroom in preparation for making it into a wet room, but the subfloor needs removing to access the pipework properly. We have also seen water damage to a partition wall bottom plate and the flooring itself, so suspect the ijoist below may be damaged.

The subfloor is some kind of grey faced chipboard and it has been glued down to the flanges of the ijoists below. No nails or screws. The ijoist flanges are lamination type.

The subfloor runs under other partitions so complete removal would require extensive demolition and just isn't an option.

I had originally proposed to use a plunge saw to cut the subfloor out as close to the walls as possible, but I suspect that if I did so and then pull the boards up with a pry bar, the ijoist flanges would end up being damaged by delamination due to the glue. The glue resisted an attempt with a pry bar already, so I know very significant force would be required.

The other option I have considered is cutting small access holes for the pipework and to allow the installation of hangers and joists/board to support the wet room tray. I would then overlay the entire existing subfloor with 8mm ply which should cope with safely covering the resulting small access holes.

I would just like to ask what a builder would do in the above situation to minimise risk of damage to structural elements.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back