Removing conduit

id just slot on a plastic conduit box of apparopriate size and join in there with terminal block

Sponsored Links
Will a plastic conduit box fit on a galv conduit??

Why cant you replace some of the singles drops??

did you read what he said?!

he said that some of them seemed to be stuck and wanted to wait until he was redecorating them room before digging out the wall to replace the drops

ok so the plastic box may be a bit loose fitting but it will cover the singles and i think it would be very hard to get a box that is right for the conduit and beyond the capabilities of a diyer to put a new thread on the end

plugwash said:
did you read what he said?!

Obviously not :oops: , or I forgot :confused:

I would say it may be more tight than loose?? Strange to have stuck cables in a conduit that simply runs vertically to a bushed box??

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a go at using plastic conduit at the ends. By the way , I'm quite capable of putting a thread on to the end of a piece of conduit.

GaryS said:
. By the way , I'm quite capable of putting a thread on to the end of a piece of conduit.

how you going to do that then? have you got a 20mm di set? how are you going to do it if the conduit is still in the wall? can i come and watch?

you need
COSDG.jpg

to thread a 20 mm conduit

Im sure in my collection of taps and dies I could find a 20mm one. The bit of conduit in question is the one sticking up into the loft which would have be cut, isn,t it?

GaryS said:
Im sure in my collection of taps and dies I could find a 20mm one.

bet you havent ;)

but if you have access to the top (loft) why can you not find the other end / conduit box and feed the cable in from there?

Going back to my original message . The ideal is to remove the conduit and replace it with T&E below joist level so I can put flooring down. So going back to the next conduit box would of be no use as this is above the joists with the other 100ft or so of conduit.

ok, fair point.

how strong are you? it may be possible (only may,i have seen it done, but only once) cut conduit off, twist it round (mole grips) it may then twist, keep twisting (back and forth) and pull conduit up

this will only work if no saddles fitted, cut it off higher than required in case you can not twist it, then you can cut off the bit you just crushed with grips

Thanks for all the help. I'll give it a go next week. Off to the pub now. Cheers

breezer said:
how strong are you? it may be possible (only may,i have seen it done, but only once) cut conduit off, twist it round (mole grips) it may then twist, keep twisting (back and forth) and pull conduit up
It's the conduit in the loft he wants to remove, not the stuff buried in the walls, although that may turn out to be necessary for the drops where the cables won't pull through.

GaryS said:
The conduit is big enough to pull T&T through, however, most of them have no play in the cable, suggesting a bent run or the ends of the wires are stuck in the plaster.
It would be interesting to know which - round 20mm steel conduit is pretty tough stuff, and it's hard to damage it. Proper bends would not get the cables jammed.

Redecorating thriughout is not an option at the moment. Plan to replace the drops as I decorate each room.
If you can find out why the cables don't move, and sort that, you may be able to leave the conduit in the walls, which would be the best thing.

Just a thought..

Hack the conduit off with grinder hacksaw at required level.. (ok carefully hack off.. leaving cables intact.. )

Pull cables hard.. disconnect other end first.. ( i would pull from light switch..) down..

I think they will come out.. if not a 16mm sds bit down the centre of the conduit.. its more likely plaster in the end holding the wires..

They should come out..

or

Can you slide a bit of solid cable down? IE Coat hanger thickness.. and feel for obstructions.. then mark how far, and compare this against the wall downstairs..

9 out of 10 times new T&E or singles will drop into conduit.. even if the impediance is crap, you can allways drop an earth and bond each end :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back