conduit wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm wiring lights in the garage.

I intend to use conduit - 20mm pvc.

Do u advise singles or t&e?

Also what happens with junction boxes, or do u use block connectors. I dont appear to be able to find JBs that connect into conduit.

Sponsored Links
counduit is designed for singles, you dont use jbs with conduit, since each wire goes to where it is required

i'll be using plastic surface mount kit.

do u use DP switches or simply SP on the live only

Depends what you are wiring - for things like normal lighting circuit S/P are fine.

Sponsored Links
from a new garage CU ;

i'm wiring 2 tubes off 1 switch

i'm wiring 2 double sockets

can i put all singles through conduit or wire sockes in separe conduit?

i'll be using plastic surface mount kit.

do u use DP switches or simply SP on the live only

as i said earlier, you only run cables to where they are required, so no neurtal will be required at the light switch, and you should have 2 reds and an earth. You hadn't forgten the earth wire had you? Its plastic conduit, so you will have to run one.

from a new garage CU
Please don't take this as being aggressive or patronising, but given your questions it is abundantly clear that you have nowhere near enough basic knowledge yet to be embarking on new CUs and new circuits.

Please get an electrician to do this job for you.

Just like you were advised before...

OOI, when you notified all this conversion work in your garage to your LABC, what did you tell them you would be doing in order to comply with Part P?

Well I'm back from some hols and will be pressing on with the garage conversion as planned, regardless of the adverse comments above.

As far as LABC are concerned they have been out, seen the job and are VERY happy with progress, all they require is a test cert at the end - no probs my friendly neighborhood spark will provide this.

Basically I use this forum to find things out and LEARN. And LEARN form SOME people I have! Some people cant abide passing on knowledge because they are sad and anally retentive, thankfully most of you are NOT.

Well I'm back from some hols and will be pressing on with the garage conversion as planned, regardless of the adverse comments above.

As far as LABC are concerned they have been out, seen the job and are VERY happy with progress, all they require is a test cert at the end - no probs my friendly neighborhood spark will provide this.

Basically I use this forum to find things out and LEARN. And LEARN form SOME people I have! Some people cant abide passing on knowledge because they are sad and anally retentive, thankfully most of you are NOT.

most of us would rather not get fried because some **** made a bodge of it then got his mate to check it for him, and by check we mean just put whatever will pass down on the cert.

Unfortunately Crackers the big problems us sparkies come across all too often is bodged DIY jobs. We spend atleast 3 years at college learning our profession then a lifetime on site furthering our knowledge. The harsh reality is that you cannot learn the skills involved to carry out such an installation on a forum even if it experts giving the advice. There are things that we know that you couldn't possibly hope to learn unless you became an electrician. The biggest problem we find is that DIYers will do some work which will function however it contravenes any number of regulations that we have to adhere to. Just cos it works doesn't mean it's safe and that's what we find and have to spend alot of time and alot of the customers money putting it right. I'm not trying to having a go at you mate, it's just a fact of our lives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back