Removing Double Glazed window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a L-shaped couch with a corner piece that just do not want to fit through the door. The door is a uPVC door, which seems to be fitted inside the original wood frame, and therefor smaller than normal doors for the corner piece to fit through. I'm thinking that the best option would be to get the corner piece through the window, which is also double glazed. Has anyone done this before, or is it a major job?

Its been suggested that I take out the beads to remove the window, but I'm not sure what is the best way to take it out without causing damage and how I will put it back (and whether I'll need to buy new beads somewhere first).

The window is similar to this one, just in a different room:
http://pics.solomon.web.za/showImage.php?album=New_Home_Pics&img=15_New_Home_Pics.jpg

Any advice?

Thanks
Carel

Sponsored Links
Remove the rubber seal all round the window with a blunt tool then push the unit glass back slightly then unhook the beading for the unit to come out, then reverse to put it back in. You may need a wooden block to help you to put the rubber seal back in. Start the rubber seal at each end and work your way back to the middle.

would the 50mm or so clearence from removing the front door not do the trick :?: :?: :?:

big-all said:
would the 50mm or so clearence from removing the front door not do the trick :?: :?: :?:

It would, but I've tried the door and appart from stripping half the screws and breaking the other half, the door is refusing to budge. The frame is also inside another wooden frame, so I need to take the wooden frame appart as well. :(

Carel

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Remove the rubber seal all round the window with a blunt tool then push the unit glass back slightly then unhook the beading for the unit to come out, then reverse to put it back in. You may need a wooden block to help you to put the rubber seal back in. Start the rubber seal at each end and work your way back to the middle.

Hi masona,

So, the beading is the white bit next to the rubber? I actually thought the black rubber was know as the beading :-/ Anyways, I'll give that a try.

Thanks!
Carel

Yes, on one side you will have a beading with the rubber seal built-in (all in one) and on the other side just the rubber beading on it own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back