Removing fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my mantle/ fire surround. It's an open fire with the hearth and front tiled. The wooden surround i want to replace is like this

http://www.internetfiresdirect.co.u...90&code=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e&pid=

I just want to remove the wooden part but how is it fixed? It is very stable when you try to rock it away from the wall just with your hand. Is there ties plastered in or something? It doesnt matter if i need to mangle it getting it out but i would prefer not to mangle the wall.

Any tips or info.

Sponsored Links
Most surrounds of this type have small fixed brackets that are sunk into the plaster.They are normally located down the left and right hand side of the surround. There will probably be two of them on each side. 2, a couple of inches or so from the top,the other 2 further down.Just chip away the plaster gently until you find them,take out the screws and that's it.Be careful though when you take it out,because probably, the surround has been plastered in over the mantlepiece as well. The less damage you cause,the less plaster patching later.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back