Removing Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

my parents have just moved into a bungalow built in the 40's which needs a lot work doing to it, part of this work is they wish to remove the fireplace that is there and replace with a nicer looking unit.

i have attached pictures of the fireplace.

We have already removed the surround, and the piece of hardboard that was covering the gap. The cast iron grate has been removed many years ok rendering what is there useless.

My question is how do we remove the fire?

it is not cast iron and is a type of cement cast item.

The bricks either side of the fire place need to be removed (highlighted in red), the fireplace is obvious and highlighted in yellow.

To remove the above, the bricks highlighted in orange also require removing.

However it all looks like they are all supporting features for the lintel highlighted in green.

if any one can offer some advice before we start hacking away it would be helpful.

also it doesn't seem to have a metal lintel under the slightly arched vertical bricks highlighted in green.

Attachments

• IMG-20180205-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180205-WA0000.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG-20180205-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180205-WA0001.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG-20180206-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180206-WA0000.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG-20180206-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20180206-WA0009.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 360
Sponsored Links
Interesting. I am doing something VERY similar myself. I am widening our fireplace that looks very similar to your parents. We are having a new lintel put in and then some bricks under removed to widen our fireplace (much like your parents are doing), however, I am paying a builder to do this which is going to cost me £500

Our lintel is a stone/concrete type lintel too, no metal lintel and our builder is going to replace it with a stone lintel too.

Look forward to hearing others comments on this. Good luck to your folks.

They are not intentionally making the fire place wider, but these bricks need to be removed in order to remove the fire place.

If the arch is sound, it very likely doesn't need a lintel; but looking at it, I'd be inclined to remove it, and increase the arch. You may also find you've got to once you remove the orange box sections.

You just need to have enough confidence to attack the bricks with a hammer and bolster, and that'll save you £500. Start at the top, and work your way downwards, and be careful in case any bricks drop. But you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks doggit.

Will be back over there in a couple of weeks and will let people know how we get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back