Removing floorboards under internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm In the process of taking up floorboards on the ground floor of our Victorian terrace. They have all been effected by a serious case of woodworm. The Joists below are unaffected and have been sprayed.

I'm going to replace the boards with an 18mm plywood subfloor.

The problem I have is removing the two boards that run under two internal walls. The Walls run parallel with the boards and perpendicular to the joists. One wall is supported by a brick foundation which goes down into the cellar.
The other one just seems to be held up by the joists.

The original boards are in terrible condition (they crumble in your fingers) so they need to come out. I'm just worried that the walls will drop if I take the boards out, before replacing with the ply.

Any tips on how to do proceed?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is sitting on the floor board all you can do rather then risk parts of the wall falling/coming loose is to remove the floor boards upto the wall and treat the floor board under the wall with the appropriate wood treatment. Then board upto the wall with your new ply.

Depending how bad the rot is on the floor board is under the wall.

Andy

Get a small chisel and chop them out in sections, replacing with smaller cut sections as you go along. If the floorboards are ad bad as that you might find the joists to be crumbly too, could turn into a much bigger job!

Thanks for the replies. It doesnt look like the joists have been effected. A survey came and had a look and they've now been professionally treated. I'll have a go at chiselling out the worst sections and replacing with ply.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can remove all the wrotten timber just do it in 600mm sections replacing ply as you go that way you only leave a small section unsupported at any one time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back