Removing glue from old cork tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best to remove glue from wood floor, its like contact glue or evostick,used to glue cork tiles.

cheers Paul

Sponsored Links
Paint stores will normally use a heat gun to dry paint before showing it to a customer (cuz emulsion paints will change their color slightly as they dry).

Take one of those tiles down to any paint store and ask them to use their heat gun to soften that glue. When the glue is hot and soft, try scraping it off with a paint scraper or any metal scraping tool that's not sharp enough to damage the wood.

That's what I'd try first.

If it works, you might want to buy a better quality heat gun with electronic temperature control which will allow you to set the air temperature such that it softens the glue without scorching the wood.

I've already used a heat gun to remove the cork tiles and get most of the glue off, but there is still a tacky residue left, was thinking more of a liquid such as meths or white spirit.

I would try lacquer thinner.

Lacquer thinner is about 60 to 75 percent toluene, so if you can find toluene available anywhere, you can use it instead of lacquer thinner.

If lacquer thinner didn't work, I'd try acetone or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

Post if you want to know exactly what the difference is between acetone and methyl ethyl ketone.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back