Cork tiles on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating the kitchen and need to put some cork tiles down on the existing concrete.

I want the cork to be flush with the tiles in the hallway without a step to trip over, but the problem is the concrete is already flush with the tiles. I am thinking I need to cut out a section of the concrete just in the doorway and make a very slight ramp to achieve this.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this.

Here's a photo of the doorway...

To complicate things further, the cork tile suppliers say that glueing cork tiles to concrete is not a good idea unless the concrete has been leveled. I looked up how to level a floor and it seems easy to get wrong and it could make the floor even higher than the tiles.

Another solution is the click together tiles which need no glue. However, with an underlay, the tiles are around 11mm thick and so the ramp in the doorway will need to be a little more steep and I don't really want that.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
I can't see where the door is but it looks like the area of concrete is in the same "room" as the tiled floor and I'm assuming the greenish floor is the one you wish to put cork tiles down onto.
In this case I'd be inclined to take up the concrete, score it with an angle grinder and then chisel it out, to a depth of around an inch or so and refill with bedded red quarry tiles up to the line of the door, it would look a much better job than carrying the cork out into the tiled room.
It looks to me that you have quarries in the doorway on the bottom right of your picture so I'd aim for it to look like that.

I can't see where the door is but it looks like the area of concrete is in the same "room" as the tiled floor and I'm assuming the greenish floor is the one you wish to put cork tiles down onto.
In this case I'd be inclined to take up the concrete, score it with an angle grinder and then chisel it out, to a depth of around an inch or so and refill with bedded red quarry tiles up to the line of the door, it would look a much better job than carrying the cork out into the tiled room.
It looks to me that you have quarries in the doorway on the bottom right of your picture so I'd aim for it to look like that.

there's a sliding door painted yellow on the left of the photo. The concrete is the kitchen, and the tiles are in the hallway (separate rooms). The green is just some boards put down temporarily. The concrete goes all the way under the green boards - 5 sq meters of the stuff. We wanted to go with cork because its an eco friendly option and would something I could do myself reasonably quickly.

I still think it will look wrong if you carry the cork tiles out from the kitchen beyond the door line.
Another idea would be to simply paint the section of concrete between the door lining and finish the cork under the door and protect the edge with a metal threshold strip which you can find at any decent flooring suppliers.

Sponsored Links
Is there any way to stick cork tiles onto concrete that is not perfectly flat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back