removing lining paper from plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Am due to help my parents re-skim two bedrooms, where a stud wall divides the two. The stud wall's plasterboard has been covered with lining paper.

Is it possible to strip the lining paper and leave the plasterboard paper intact?
If so, any tips to do the job as neat as possible? (scrapers, steamers, soaking etc)

I can handle the occasional bit of missing plasterboard paper, but am hoping to avoid large swathes missing.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, forget the steamer, do you happen to know whether the boards have either recieved a mist coat or plasterboard sealer, also is the lining paper painted.

Dec

depending on what finish is on the wall will effect the stripping process. if the wall is matt emulsion i would just soak the lining paper with water and strip using a scrapper.

this is the least damaging way to strip and as the paper has to come off any way this would be the best option.

If the lining paper was painted with either a matt or silk finish it's complete removal without causing damage could be termed as a minor miracle, if however the lining paper is not painted it is often better by working within a small area at a time and using a clean and no longer wanted kitchen spray bottle, spray the lining paper with warm water with a squirt of mild detergent

When the paper appears to be soaked enough you can with care start to remove with a good quality scraper, you need only to allow enough time to reactivate the paste which should allow it's safe removal.

Dec

Sponsored Links
yes probably will cause some damage but a lot less than steaming. matt paint will help keep the water on the surface for longer helping to soak through were as silk will repel more of the water. detergent will also help the water penetrate.

with silk surfaces it is beneficial to score or perforate the surface to let the water soak into the paper.

Been watching fireworks, so apologies for delay!
It is definitely painted. I think from memory a silk emulsion. Will give the steamer a miss and proceed as advised.
Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back