Removing oil on concrete drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post on diynot, hope I'm in the right place. In the next few weeks I'm moving into a bungalow which I'm renting off the council and for the first year I'm not alowed to make any changes but the concrete drive in front is dirty. I reckon previous tenant parked an old car losing oil. Anyway it's black and I shall need to scrub it.

Now I know thier are some concrete cleaners with hydrochloric acid which do a really good job BUT what I don't know is if it removes oil or grease stains, like you see on the roads.
<<<Has anyone used HCA based concrete cleaner and can advise me>>>
Any help and advice is well and truely appreciated !!!
Thanks...

Sponsored Links
The problem with hydrochloric acid is this product will also eat in to concrete surfaces, it is much used in the process of acid burning and etching concrete surfaces. So it depending on it's strength it it could cause long term damage.
Hot water and a scrubbing brush could well be your best solution or even the use of a power washer.

As above OR

Sprinkle some cement powder onto the oily patch, the cement will suck the oil up (way better then oil granules) and can then be hosed off, swept-up or if it's wet and the cement goes off it's easily removed with a few hits of a hammer as it won't take to the original surface.

Washing up powder helps clean oil stains on drives. Sprinkle powder over the stain, slightly dampen and give a good brushing with a stiff hand brush.

Sponsored Links
Lithofin make something called Wax Off which is designed for removing wax, oil and old sealants so that might do the trick. Failing that HG do something similar, I think its called Spot Stain Cleaner.

K

Tri sodiumphosphate, is a good cleaning agent for oil / grease etc
White granular powder, sprinkle over area, then dampen slightly, should remove the staining.

Wotan

Had the same problem with my pavior drive last year. Went to local store thinking the GUNK old engine degreaser would do it, as everything else had failed.

They suggested GUNK Driveway cleaner. Stuck it on the large stained area, 20/30 minutes later washed off, brilliant, stains completely gone. Cost about £5

The problem with hydrochloric acid is this product will also eat in to concrete surfaces, it is much used in the process of acid burning and etching concrete surfaces. So it depending on it's strength it it could cause long term damage.
Hot water and a scrubbing brush could well be your best solution or even the use of a power washer.
Thanks for your reply. The HCA which I'm refering to is sold as a concrete cleaner and it needs to be diluted, can't remember the ratio. Thier are several on the market, usually28%. One is called Muriatic Acid. I've tried it and it's very good but I need to know if it will remove black engine oil. I suppose if it was used neat, it would erode. If it doesn't remove the oil, I'll have to scrub it with a strong detergent, can't look any worse than it does now.

As above OR

Sprinkle some cement powder onto the oily patch, the cement will suck the oil up (way better then oil granules) and can then be hosed off, swept-up or if it's wet and the cement goes off it's easily removed with a few hits of a hammer as it won't take to the original surface.
Thanks for your input. The trouble is that these stains are not an oilspill but years of black oil from, must be an old banger. In other words the dirt is ground in and caked on. It's actually turned the drive black.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post and was kind enough to reply. So much really good advice. Thank you !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back