Concrete drive front and side, poured too high, remove....for gravel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for your interest...

Short version- Pro's and cons, please of removing a concrete drive and replacing with a gravel drive....

Longer version-

We have a 1930's semi with a concrete drive going along the side of the house from the back to the front and going to meet the road.
It was poured maybe 25 years ago and was poured almost entirely over the 2 (!) air bricks along the side of the house.
I have since replaced the air bricks and cut out a strip along the side and front. The floor has dried out a lot! Dealt with the woodworm etc.

I have been pondering for about 18 months now how to make good after cutting the chase out around the side and front of the house, but am now wondering about removing all the concrete drive from pavement right along the side of the house. The concrete is about 4 inches above DPC which I know, should be 6 inches above finished ground level!

I can access a large-ish breaker and wrecking bar and can probably arrange for a farmer to take the concrete away... It's doable- ish!

I'd have to remove a wood store and a bike store, and move and replace about 10' of fencing. Still doable...

We have a car sized parking space which is gravel next to the main concrete drive and use this all the time- gravel seems to work ok...

So given that:
The ground levels need sorting out- difference between DPC and concrete. The 'moat' thing is never going to look very good, even if it works.
A french drain and soakaway would take a lot of time, money, and ongoing maintenance.
There are water pipes under there that are soon to be replaced, I suspect.
The main concrete section of drive slopes towards the house so really does create a moisture problem.

Would it not be better to remove it all and lay a proper (type 1 compacted, membrane, gravel) drive?

I cannot shake the feeling that a concrete drive should be preserved at all costs, and nobody in their right mind would tear one up in place of a gravel drive...

Any thoughts.... gratefully received.

M

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back