Replace gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20 years ago when I moved to my house it had a horrible concrete drive so I just dumped about 10 tons of gravel on it and it looked fine for many years. Now it is looking very tired and it was never great to walk on as the gravel was very loose on the concrete. Ideally, I would like to raise the level by about 100mm up to where it should have been in the first place. I think the original owner intended to block pave it but the area is so large the cost is prohibitive. The drive is over 200sqm so cost is really important here. If I clear the current gravel back to the old concrete can I dump 80mm of type 1 on top of it, whack it down, and add 20mm of gravel on top of that? I did look at gravel grids but they seem to be only 40mm deep so I can't put 60mm of gravel on top of them. Are there any 100mm gravel grids?

Thanks for your advice.

Sophie

Sponsored Links
Well that's odd, I'm sure when i was looking at driveway grids 10 years ago,100mm was the default depth. Then it was £10 per sq m so i suspect it would be about £15 plus now.
For that sort of volume it might be worth pricing concrete on top of the concrete. Either the full 100mm or 60 mm then gravel etc on top.
Or double gravel grid?
None of them are going to be cheap...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back