Removing paint from osb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I still need to find and install cladding to my mini workshop on the doors and one side, (it’s no bigger than a bike shed), we have painted the outside so the weather keeps it from rotting. However I wanted to keep the inside natural wood, except I did not communicate this to the person who painted the outside (my mum) and she started to paint the inside too.

So, now I am getting ready for some summer projects, I wish to get my work area sorted out first, so yesterday, I decided to use my belt sander to get rid of most of the paint, coming behind with a smaller sander to get into the corners easier. It’s actually looking okay, but as osb is not uniform in smoothness, there is quite a few areas my sanders can’t reach…

How would you remove this?

I am going back out now to try and remove as much of the bulk as possible, but do I turn to a wire brush on a rotary tool, wrap sand paper around a pencil, paint stripper?

Sponsored Links
I’d buy some more OSB and cut it to fit inside.
You will be ages sanding and a belt sander is likely to dig into the OSB.
You could try paint stripper.

Personally, I’d paint the inside white

Peel tec paint remover but more trouble than it's worth reading about your project?

Sponsored Links
Pointless task .

Yeah, just something that’s annoying me, but pictures show improvements.
I’d buy some more OSB and cut it to fit inside.
You will be ages sanding and a belt sander is likely to dig into the OSB.
You could try paint stripper.

Personally, I’d paint the inside white
Was thinking about putting a new osb cut to fit, also painting a more mild colour like white, but the belt sander did a good job, just 50% left to sand down now, with the deeper bits maybe wood filler?
Peel tec paint remover but more trouble than it's worth reading about your project?
What do you think now pictures are here? IMG_2313.jpeg

What that picture shows is taken when I went back outside, with an extra 2 hours of cleaning and sanding to come. I will try and get more photos tomorrow but most of the green now looks (where I have sanded) is more like the highlighted areaIMG_2313.jpeg

I think from now on whenever someone asks how to do something that is fiddly, laborious and pointless, we can say to them "but that would be like trying to get paint off OSB!"

I like green
I like green too, just wanted everything to be a natural wood colour inside.

I think from now on whenever someone asks how to do something that is fiddly, laborious and pointless, we can say to them "but that would be like trying to get paint off OSB!"

Most definitely… such a pain removing it… I have just under 50% left to go, but putting it off… as it’s not clean a thing… and I like clean.

I like green too, just wanted everything to be a natural wood colour inside.

Most definitely… such a pain removing it… I have just under 50% left to go, but putting it off… as it’s not clean a thing… and I like clean.
You could always take up spaghetti knitting .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back