Removing paint on aluminium door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owmer was a pretty sloppy painter and all of our aluminium door handles have (emulsion) paint on them to varying degrees. Any suggestions on how to get it off without damaging the aluminium? It looks like there might be some sort of lacquer finish on them too. I've got 13 doors so 26 handles to do!
IMG_6637.JPG

Sponsored Links
emulsion paint will soften if immersed in hot water with WUL for a while, enough to scrub it off with a nylon brush. A dishwasher also works but will tarnish aluminium badly.

Meths works faster but you have to wrap it in clingfilm or something or it will evaporate.

This does not work on gloss.

Plastic to scratch off if above fails. Cheap enough to replace as a plan B

Thank you. I'll try softening it with water/wul and plastic. Will post the results in case it's of use to someone else later. I would replace them, but I hate throwing away something which still works.

Sponsored Links
It softened with warm water/wul. A kitchen scourer suitable for non-stick pans took off spots (and cleaned them up nicely too). I fashioned a scraper from a piece of hard bamboo (an old skewer) which worked well to get into the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back