removing parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an extension done.However I have a problem ,My current living room is parquet flooring, I would like to continue this into my extension but cant afford it!...I have bedrooms which have the same flooring and would like to lift the parquet and replace it within the new room..Is this possible?, How much work is it? Can an inexperienced diy person like me take on such a project? any ideas? thanks,....

Sponsored Links
We had the small parkie flooring down, onto a bitumen floor. When we tried to salvage it the wood it either split or got damaged. In the end we had to use a bolster chisel as they were fimly fixed - in some cases splitting the wood down the middle rather than lifting up. When we assesed the cost & time to remove it carefully, it was cheaper to buy new. If you find a way of lifting it let me know as we have a full living room and bedroom still to do and its not a job i'm looking forward too.

Thanks very much 4 your comments....they are appreciated, You have proberly answered my question 4 me...But if I do hear of any new methods I will let u know...thanks again...

I recently lifted over 500 old parquet blocks from a house next door due for demolition. There seems to be a trick to it: lift a few blocks using a sharp bolster. Once you can get a hammer head to the side of a block, strike sharply and - with any luck - pretty soon the block hit and those adjacent will shake loose. After that it's just steady graft. It worked for me! Good luck.

Sponsored Links
I recently lifted over 500 old parquet blocks from a house next door due for demolition. There seems to be a trick to it: lift a few blocks using a sharp bolster. Once you can get a hammer head to the side of a block, strike sharply and - with any luck - pretty soon the block hit and those adjacent will shake loose. After that it's just steady graft. It worked for me! Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back