Removing part of subfloor under stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A section of upstairs ply subfloor was lifted for some plumbing that I had done. The board was cut flush with a stud cupboard wall that is sat directly on a joist.

Time has come to re-lay the floor and I need something to fix onto. I was hoping to somehow cut out the ply to about 25mm depth from under the cupboard wall sole plate, so that I can push the replacement piece under the wall enough that it is supported on the joist.

Any ideas how I could do it? I was thinking of drilling it with a depth gauge and tidying up with a chisel but it seems very slow.

Sponsored Links
Forget that. Assuming that the wall runs along the line of the joist either install a series of "noggins" between the joists at 300 to 400mm centres or sister the joist with some 2 x 3in PSE softwood.

Fair shout. I wasn't sure about sistering the joist, as I believe that is ideally done with coach bolts and I don't have easy access to the rear face of the joist. Is that right or can I just screw it?

In this instance unless the intention is to add some massive load on top like a full size solid bronze statue of The Sasquatch, I'd just screw it with maybe some PU glue to bond the two parts together a bit better. 5 x 80 or 90 screws should do for 45 to 50mm thick stock

Sponsored Links
I have to admit, I've done exactly this elsewhere some years ago. I also didn't see much issue with it, if one screw can withstand 50kg shear strength then glue+screw every 300mm should surely be plenty of strength. I guess it could apply twist load to the joist it is screwed to, but I don't intend on any Sasquatch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back