Removing pipe in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a 1934 semi-detached property that used to have gas fires in many rooms. The gas was supplied by steel pipes rather than copper. Many of these pipes ran under the floor and some were buried in the walls.

The pipes have now been disconnected at the meter.

There is one running up the wall in the corner of the kitchen. It has started to rust which is unsightly and I want to take the opportunity of the recent removal of the kitchen units to remove it from the wall but I'm struggling to determine how best to proceed.

It doesn't appear to be clipped in place but perhaps I am wrong. Maybe someone who has encountered this before can advise on how it is held in place?

There are neighbouring copper pipes which limit my use of brute force.

I am leaning towards using an angle-grinder to slice it up in-situ and levering out the pieces with a hammer and chisel...

The benefit of your experience is welcome.

Happy New Year (y)

Sponsored Links
I had them all throughout my house. They twist together - threaded ends.

I got mine disconnected at the meter and as I get to each room with one, I use a dremel with a cutting disc.

If I can cut it out of sight (under floor or behind kitchen unit), I filled the cut end with silicone sealant. As it still smells of gas additive.

If unable to get access, (like yours) I cut in the middle and used mole grips to unscrew each end.

I must have checked and double checked 10 times while cutting. Weird cognitive dissonance cutting a gas pipe with sparks flying. Felt wrong. Especially with a faint gas additive odour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back