Removing Rad, what to do with pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to take out a stud wall between my kitchen and a utility room as we're extending kitchen and fitting a new suite. There's a small rad on one side of the wall so this will be coming out too. The sub floor is solid concrete so all the pipe work runs through the walls. The missus has plans for a conservatory or an extension in the next few years, so I was thinking of terminating the pipes back at the main wall. I could then hide them behind a kitchen cabinet and use them to feed a new rad in the conservatory in the future. My concern is dead legs/no flow and it could be for several years. If i had a wooden sub floor i'd have probably followed them back to the tee and capped them here. I dont fancy chasing these pipes and knocking chunks out of walls around the house. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1. If it were me I'd cap them and not worry about the dead leg, its heating not hot water. Might consider putting manual air valves as caps just in case.
2. Conservatories tend to lose a lot of heat, and there are rules about (against) heating them from an existing house heating zone. Best check before starting a conservatory. Extension might be OK depending on size, and how much heat you are trying to get out of what I presume is 15mm pipe. If its less then 15mm, or 15mm and a large area, you may well have difficulties and might have to go back to the 22mm "spine" if there is one.

ok cheers that makes sense, will look at manual air valves.
Didnt know that about heating & conservatories, thanks! I'll be calling the pros for conservatory/extension... thats way beyond me.
Also, all the rads are on the 10mm microbore stuff.

Last edited:
Is the such thing as 10mm push fit or compression air release valves/stop ends?

Sponsored Links
1. Stop ends - BES part number 17649, 20655
2. Air valves - BES part numbers 6793 + 6772 (requires soldering)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back