Removing rollers from shower door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new shower enclosure fitted just over 4 years ago. In that time, the rubber on most of the wheels has perished, meaning the shower door now makes a horrendous scraping noise when opening and closing, which isn't doing either the enclosure or my ears any good.

I'd therefore like to replace the shower door rollers. The enclosure doesn't have any obvious manufacturer or model information on it, and the fitter has long since disappeared on his horse. However, I'm hopeful that if I can remove one of the existing rollers, I can measure it and hopefully find equivalent replacements somewhere.

The problem is I can't get the things off the shower door! The rollers have a hexagonal nut on the "inside" of the door; however, on the outside (next to the actual "wheel") there's nothing to grip on to. Therefore, when trying to loosen off the hexagonal nut, the entire fitting just spins around. I've tried sturdy pliers and Mole grips and nothing will grab hold of it strongly enough allow me to remove the roller.

There's no screws or anything else obvious that I can see. I've uploaded some photos below - hopefully they've show enough detail to illustrate what I mean, as well as showing off all the grime The first photo shows the 'outside', with the wheel that's originally had a rubber outer that's perished and fell off. The second photo shows the 'inside' - it's a hexagonal nut, and trying to loosen this just results in the whole thing spinning around.

Is there a "knack" to removing these rollers, am I missing something obvious, or have I just been unlucky enough to end up with a shower door where the rollers can only be removed with a hacksaw?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice given.
View media item 53585 View media item 53586 View media item 53587

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think the inside nut is just a cover, can't be sure, behind it is a small bolt and cam to adjust the door.
The nut, what 's it made of?
The nut itself is metal, and the round shiny bit seems to metal or very hard plastic - it's a bit difficult to tell. I've tried to prise it off in case it's a cover of some kind, but there's no obvious way to remove it.

This website will help with roller replacement
http://www.showerdoorrollers.co.uk/

That's the first place I'm going as soon as I can get the old ones removed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back