Removing silk paint from plaster!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I renovated my home last year before the birth of my first child but now it's time to finish the last bedroom....
Basically the previous owners of the house had build an extension with a bedroom above the garage. What the idiots must have done is paint silk paint directly onto fresh plaster and as a result its peeled in patches, one 3foot patch on th wall and a 2 foot patch on the ceiling. I know it's not going to paint over well especially as the sun shines directly into the room which will show up any imperfections.

I've been trying to strip bits with a Stanley window scraper but its taking forever. Has anyone got any advice??? Would a paint striper or steamer help??? Is there anything I can pain over it

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can use zinsser gardz or peel stop to bind down what you cant get off. It will also prime any bare spots following paint removal. You need to skim fill over the uneven areas with something like easifill or toupret cachet bleau or blanc. Rub down flush and prime the filler with thinned emulsion (25%), you may need to do a second fill, then use a matt paint to help disguise any unevenness.

To be honest I would prefer to strip it back because any imperfections will show up, especially as the sun pours in.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if its the correct way, but years ago I had this problem in my bathroom. I used nitromors paint stripper to remove as much paint as possible, sanded up the walls including the remaining paint I could not get off, and then applied thinned down matt emulsion, before finishing off with 2 coats of neat emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back