Newly painted plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband has recently painted a room that was newly plastered. He ignored the instructions on the paint tin which recommended sanding the walls and watering the paint down before using! He has used vinyl silk and the paint has peeled in a small area and peels off. However this isn't the case all over and in other areas is more difficult to scrape off. He is currently scraping this off with a wallpaper scraper (think its going to take until next christmas to remove) Does anyone have an effective way of getting this paint off more effectively and without causing damage to my newly plastered walls?

Sponsored Links
By the time he's gouged the wall all over getting the old stuff off you'll need them skimming again.

Well to start with you should NEVER sand a new skim coat. If it needs sanding then it's a bodge.

if you are lucky you won't have too many nicks and you can fill it with easy fill and sand it - but with silk paint you will NEVER get it right.

Re-skim is really the only way forward.

BTW, what colour were the walls and did the plasterer sand them?

Sponsored Links
Walls were pale pink after plastering (when dried) no idea if plasterer sanded them

If you sand them you risk getting a surface called 'suede' that looks like suede.

I can't think of an easy solution - sorry.

The smooth silky surface of the new plaster is coming off with the paint, not sure if the result is the 'suede' effect that you are talking about. Thank you for your time. I think the way forward is to re skim (arghhhh!!!!!!) and to kill my bleeding husband!

Yep. He made the one cock-up that is just about impossible to sort. Hopefully just one wall.

the loose, peeling paint he should take off.

the rest of it, if it is adhering firmly enough to be difficult to get off, is adhering firmly enough to leave.

"However this isn't the case all over and in other areas is more difficult to scrape off. He is currently scraping this off with a wallpaper scraper (think its going to take until next christmas to remove)"

so if the rest of it isn't peeling he doesn't need to scrape it

You can't paint over it though - you'll see the edge.

I'd wipe the edge off with fine grade paper, possibly knifing a trace of fine surface filler over it if scabby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back