Removing stair lift Stennar 260

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone removed one of these? wondering best way to remove lift from rails, wall one end top and extending leg runs into wall or floor at bottom, once cables removed I assume safety will stop us being able to power chair? And with the emergency nut still need to remove brake.

Batteries OK and charged.

Sponsored Links
There are companies who will buy the stair lift from you at a very low price but as part of the deal they dis-assemble and remove the track. Saves you a lot of hassle.

I helped a friend removed a straight tracked lift. The chair can be wound off the end of the track once the mechanical stops have been removed from the track. In you case you would also have to remove the extending leg. Be careful as the chair comes of the end of the track, it is far heavier than it looks.

Did a straight one, that was easy the rack slid into track so you could remove top section of rack then motor to top of rack and then slide out of top of track, but this one rack welded onto track, unless I hear different, I will park in centre park position and dismantle above and below and manually wind up off the track then coming off on a landing.

But loads of mills pins to remove so will be hammering most the day, weighting for son to arrive with punches. I am sure there are jumpers I could use to make it work past the safely stops, so would not need to manually wind it off.

I helped move one, many years ago so they may have changed. We removed all but the top fixings into the stairs/floor, unbolted the bottom bracket from the track, which incorperated an 'end cap', then drove the chair off the end.
Refitting was a reversal of the process but very fiddly to align accurately as it looks like it's in the wrong place (and yes they are chuffing heavy) when correctly positioned.

Sponsored Links
Son came to help, it seems two cables one 24 volt supply other 12 volt supply and cutting them does not stop lift working so removed top two sections and then drove lift off the end.

Son came to help, it seems two cables one 24 volt supply other 12 volt supply and cutting them does not stop lift working so removed top two sections and then drove lift off the end.

Just one 24v DC supply, supplying top of rail at landing, from a small SMPSU at the end of the rail. That charges the batteries (2x 12v) in the chair base, via the rail. The charger doesn't supply even close to enough current for the chair to operate - it uses the battery, then recharges whilst unused.

It is best removed by running the chair of the end of the track, on the ground floor. Just remove the bottom stop and run it down (or up) to ground - as already said - they are very heavy, so worth taking heavy parts off the chair for easier handing, like the batteries. Track removal is light and easy.

I got one for my partner, she passed away and I briefly removed it to install stair carpet, but reinstalled it when I realised how little they were worth second hand. I though I might need it one day, perhaps.

It actually had two independent supplies one 24 volt the other 12 volt one to charge chair battery one for arm battery can't remember how we actually removed it, know it was in the centre some where, it was heavy and went for scrap. House sold two months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back