Stair lift safety

Sponsored Links
Before doing anything I have asked the makers. It seems I made a mistake and called it a model 220 instead of 260 which resulted in an email asking for more details.

I think the 180 degree bend and the extending leg should not have been combined in the same lift without some extra sensors or lights and it was the guy who fitted it who made a mistake.

Since fitted by county council I will also need to contact them and ask about the safety features that are missing.

It was only when it broke down that I looked at the lift with anything more than a passing glance I had not even considered there could be a dangerous situation until that point.

What about a mirror in the corner where the stairs turn?
Yes this is going to be done. However I looked at the arm though a mirror held for me at the top of the stairs and unless I was to use a mirror to cover the whole wall and put it at an odd angle to aim it the image is quite small. We have ear marked a convex mirror for mounting all it needs now is for me to take my drill down to do the job.

They have answered to say
The hinge arm has a clutch contained within motor casing. This would stop the hinge closing should it meet an obstruction .This design conformed to the BS5776 when produced in 2006. EN 81/40 has since superseded BS5776.
I did try to stop arm but failed to stop it may be I just did not push against to hard enough!

As to being able to see where the leg is they said:-
This issue would have been discussed with Sales Advisor and Occupational Therapist at time of initial site assessment. Alterations to the installation can be made but these would need approval from Flintshire Council.
and also:-
We have made various improvements since 2006 including warning sounders / travel alarms and visual warning lights.
Some of these can be retrofitted to this lift, but again approval would need to be sought from Flintshire Council.
So it seems next step is to contact Flintshire County Council. As to the chances of radio interference they say:-
Do not adjust or experiment with the radio system. It incorporates safety features ensuring the stairlift cannot travel when the hinge is lifted.
which does not really answer the question would transmissions close to the lift cause it to malfunction.
The do say when asked about a third control:-
Alterations to the installation can be made but these would need approval from Flintshire Council.
so it would seem at least that can be done.

I have at least had an explanation as to what the little green light means
Led on transmitter indicates by way of flashing battery is approaching discharge limit.

What I have be wondering is how long would a LED be powered from a small AA or AAA cell and could I just glue a bugler alarm reed switch magnet to the arm and use the reed switch to work a small lamp to show when leg is retracted? I will fit mirror first and then look at it again.

I did not push too hard against the arm as I considered there may be a clutch with a sensor which once activated would disable the arm. But I did put more effort than I would use on a small dog or child to stop them moving.

Also considering something like a push bike brake to push on the up switch so my mother can retract it from other side of the stairs. A boden cable should do the job but an electrical connection would have been easier.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back