Removing Steel Rods (floating shelf)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, did a bit of searching and couldn't find an answer. We've moved into a new place with quite a few old floating shelves in place.

We've got the shelves off, but they are fixed to the wall via long metal rods (presuming with threaded ends I can't see - stuck in the wall). They are pretty much perfectly round, about 8mm diameter, and I can't for the life of me make them budge.

Any thoughts on a technique to get some purchase on these things to get it out?

Appreciate any help, i'm sure there will be something obvious I haven't thought of!

Graham

Sponsored Links
Do you have mole grips?, may have been installed with a resin kit.

Nope - but looks like a good option to try! The look like they have been installed in some sort of plastic sleeve (like a very large wall plug) - so i'm wondering if over time they have bonded (or as you say potentially they installed with a resin).

Will buy some mole grips and have no doubt another explitive filled hour of fun :mad:

Thanks for the idea.

Sponsored Links
I have a cheap set of these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-4pk-Aston-Super-Wrench/dp/B00BU51V0C

will turn even a smooth rod as they have any action similar to a basin wrench.

Thanks - got a set of mole grips per the other idea which had some success in getting 3 of 4 out. The final one is sufficiently stuck that I've taken a few mm off the steel as with enough force the wrench is grinding the steel back.

Going to see if I can attack it with a dremel tomorrow to create a couple flat spots that might create a bit more friction...

Give it a wak with a hammer to break the seal.

Thanks - gave it a bit of a bash, and filed the steel down so it had a couple flat edges and after some cursing at it it finally yielded. Not sure if it was hammer, better grip from filing it down, or the cursing that ultimately did the trick. :D :D

The rod had been bent somehow when they put it in which I figure why it was so much trouble.

Thanks for all the ideas - problem sorted other than filling the big holes they left behind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back