Removing tap cover without runing the tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to take the cap off my basin tap to change a washer. I have remove the screw and crosshead handle, but a shroud cover (goldy colour for my tap) won't twist off from the tap. I know I'll have to use force and grips but I don't want to scratch the tap and ruin it.

Is there any good tips/ways to remove this without scratching/taking chunks out of the tap?

Sponsored Links
you can get a strap wrench with a sort of self-tightening rubber band that grips smooth objects so you can unscrew them.

I forget the name - python? Anaconda? boa? something like that

edited

b0dc_35.JPG

I tried a piece of cloth but the cloth slips and doesn't grip properley

also i have that anaconda (from B & Q) but it doesn't seem to work at all!!

Sponsored Links
Anaconda/Boa etc are complete crap, I had one once it went in the skip fairly quickly.

I take it your shroud doesn't have flats on it to take a spanner? If it does then position your adjustable spanner so that the handle is an inch or two to the left of the tap spout, then squeeze the two together with one hand, you can get much more force on it this way without moving the tap.

If it doesn't have flats, try getting some large rubber bands, wrap them around the shroud and then try to turn it with your hands, the rubber bands will give you more grip. You may need to steady the tap with something to stop it turning though

Use rag or bog paper under the grips but DO Notuse the grips at the base of the shroud near the thread but at the top close to the cross head.

Rarely fails to work for me, but that strap wrench looks good to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back