Removing wall tile mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

There are lots of posts already about removing tiles. But this post is about removing wall tile mortar.

The bathroom wall tiles being removed are fixed in place by either cement or by "solidified volcanic magma from the jurassic era".

A hammer and chisel are gradually removing the tiles but the cement / magma about 5mm to 8mm thick remains. There maybe dinosaur fossils in there somewhere but, if not, is there a way of most easily removing the cement?

Thank you for looking at this post.

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the type of adhesive it is.
Some react better to softening up, this can be done by the use of a wallpaper steamer or a heat gun, be careful not get too carried awy with the heat as it can crack the plaster.
If the walls a plasterboard stud walls, I often choose to pull the lot off and replace the plasterboards, less hassle belief me!

Dear PBoD,

Thank you for your reply.

Will have a go with steamer on parts that are stuck fast.

Fortunately on one wall the cement has been applied to a nother layer of concrete behine whihc for some reason has either come away from the wall or never bonded so the lot is coming off in chunks with a little leverage.

Will try the steamer on the parts fixed fast to the wall. There's no plasterboard.

Thank you again for your reply.

if they are really old tiles then it's not adhesive it cement & the wallpaper stripper won't do anything

Sponsored Links
I used a heat gun on my old tile adhesive and it came off like butter. But your tiles could be cemented on, if so it may be time to get out the mini kango with a wide scrapping blade.

Don't forget PPE kit.

Good luck.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back