Removing wallpaper from around window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a plasterer coming this weekend to skim/plaster the walls and ceiling in a bedroom.

I have had the fun task of removing the old wallpaper this week. I have a question about how best to remove the bits of wallpaper around the edge of the window frame.

I have attached 2 photographs of what i mean - I’ve removed the paper as far as i can and now there are small bits ‘sticking out’ from the window frame.

Is it just a case of using a sharp knife to remove right up to the edge? There’s a sealant (or similar product) around the window frame which will come away with the last bits of paper - will/should my plasterer replace this?

The windows are relatively new and I don’t want to damage them.

Apologies if these are silly questions, I’m really clueless with this stuff.
IMG_6123.jpeg
IMG_6121.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Run a sharp stanley knife down the outside edge of the sealant, wet the wall so the paper becomes soggy and then carefully scrape it off running your scraper along the sealant edge. Don't dig at it or poke the scraper into the sealant.
The plasterer won't replace any sealant,, he will just plaster up to the edge. If he covers over the sealant, you can always apply a fresh bead after the plaster has dried, if you want to.

Run a sharp stanley knife down the outside edge of the sealant, wet the wall so the paper becomes soggy and then carefully scrape it off running your scraper along the sealant edge. Don't dig at it or poke the scraper into the sealant.
The plasterer won't replace any sealant,, he will just plaster up to the edge. If he covers over the sealant, you can always apply a fresh bead after the plaster has dried, if you want to.
Thanks, I’ll do this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back